Sunday, August 12, 2007

Postsecret

At the very end of the movie American Beauty, Kevin Spacey's character says, "...it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life."

That's how reading Postsecret makes me feel.

If you're not familiar with Postsecret, here's the rundown: This man started a blog and suggested to the public that if we had anything we'd like to get off our chests, we could write those things on a postcard anonymously and mail them to him. He in turn would post them in his blog, respecting our anonymity.

This idea has literally become a lifesaver for many. The blog, and the books spawned from it, have raised money for the National Suicide Prevention Hotline, enough to keep it "in business", so to speak. It makes people see that they are not alone, that no matter how dark and ugly their own secret is, someone else out there shares it. And they are set free.

I've been reading Postsecret for several years now, and each week it serves as a reminder of the fraily of the human condition, the realities that tie us together, for better or worse, and how beautiful life can be if you just let go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home